How The Co-op Credit Union will use and share your information
The Co-op Credit Union will process your data in accordance with your rights under data protection regulation.
Your information may be processed by The Co-op Credit Union in any form and on any database used by us for the following purposes:
- To consider any applications made by you;
- To help us to make credit decisions about you and anyone to whom you are linked financially or other members of your household;
- To deal with your account(s) or run any other financial services we provide to you;
- To undertake statistical analysis, financial risk assessment, money laundering checks (which may include telephoning you), compliance and regulatory reporting, fraud prevention and debt tracing;
- To help us identify products and services which may be of interest to you (unless you have asked us not to).
- To update you as a member co-owner: we send members regular updates by email or SMS about what’s going on at The Co-op Credit Union. Should members not wish to receive these updates, they can unsubscribe at any time via the unsubscribe link in emails or by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hold a category F Consumer Credit License, and will disclose information outside the credit union only:
- To our agent or subcontractors for operational reasons;
- To any persons, including but not limited to, insurers, who provide a service of benefits to you or for us in connection with your account(s);
- To licensed credit reference agencies in accordance with data protection regulation and the terms of the Consumer Credit Act;
- To fraud prevention and other agencies to help prevent crime or where we suspect fraud;
- If compelled to do so by law;
- For the purpose of compliance and regulatory reporting, and to confirm your identity for money laundering purposes, which may include checking the electoral register.
Loans – Points to Note
- All loans are subject to approval and availability of funds.
- For loans being repaid via payroll deduction, if you leave your employment you MUST inform us prior to your final pay, otherwise any such outstanding pay may be taken towards your outstanding loan.
- All loans can be cancelled within 14 days of taking the loan, provided that all transferred money is returned to the credit union.
- Your personal details will only be used in accordance with data regulation.
- They will only be shared with licensed credit reference agencies and for debt recovery purposes, should this be necessary.
Credit Reference Agencies
In order to process your application, we will supply your personal information to credit reference agencies (CRAs) and they will give us information about you, such as about your financial history. We do this to assess creditworthiness and product suitability, check your identity, manage your account, trace and recover debts and prevent criminal activity.
We will also continue to exchange information about you with CRAs on an ongoing basis, including about your settled accounts and any debts not fully repaid on time. CRAs will share your information with other organisations. Your data will also be linked to the data of your spouse, any joint applicants or other financial associates.
The identities of the CRAs, and the ways in which they use and share personal information, are explained in more detail at
The Co-operative Family Credit Union Limited, trading as The Co-op Credit Union, is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Credit facilities are provided by The Co-op Credit Union, are subject to status and only available to those aged 18 or over and resident in the UK. The Co-op credit Union subscribes to the Lending Code and is a member of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Firm Reference No 213649. Registered No 558c.
Registered office address: 1 Angel Square, Manchester, M60 0AG